Backhendl is probably one of the best Austrian classics there is, isn’t it? Since my grandmother was from Styria, we spent every summer there and always got the best Backhendl of Austria.
As an exception, I changed the recipe a bit and created a modern variation. Away from classic potato-bog salad and cranberries.
Today we serve wraps with pumpkin pesto, radish and red cabbage. I love to eat with just the hands which works perfectly if you roll it all up in a tortilla.
Fried Chicken Wraps
For the marinade:
- 30 g finely chopped parsley
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 lemon juice
- 4 pieces of chicken drumstick
- 2 chicken breast fillets
For the panier:
- 100 g flour
- 100 g breadcrumbs
- 2-3 eggs
- vegetable oil to bake out
- butter to bake out
- 8 pieces of small tortilla sheets
- 200 g Brunch Pumpkin Seed - Pesto
- 1/4 red cabbage finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar fine
- 1 lemon juice and zest
- parsley and pumpkin seeds to garnish
- Mix all the ingredients for the marinade in a large bowl.
- Cut the chicken meat into pieces of about 2 cm. Place in the marinade and cover completely. Leave to rest for about 10 hours.
- Take from the bowl and cut into small pieces.
- Whisk eggs in a bowl, put flour and breadcrumbs in one bowl each and prepare the chicken. First roll in the flour then in the egg then in the breadcrumbs.
- Cut the red cabbage into fine strips and place in a bowl. Mix with lemon juice, salt, sugar and lemon zest (some lemon zest to garnish) and put aside.
- Heat oil and butter in a deep pan. Bake the breaded chicken pieces until golden brown.
- Heat the tortillas in a pan or in the oven.
- Put Brunch pumpkin pesto spread in a bowl and stir a little. Then spread over the tortillas.
- Spread the red cabbage, fried chicken, sliced radishes evenly over the tortillas.
- Garnish with parsley, lemon zest and pumpkin seeds.
This post is also available in English!