Winter time is kale time! Sadly it’s not possible to get kale all year round in Austria. That’s why I’m even more hyped when kale season finally starts. In today’s recipe I’ll combine two of my favourite ingredients- kale and harissa paste.
Whenever I’ve got the time I’m making the harissa myself, but as that’s not always the case, I often use the Rose Harissa by Belazu. You can order it online if you want to try it. In Austria you can usually only find harissa powder, which can be used just like the paste. If you’re in the UK you’ll get the harissa paste in bigger Sainsbury’s, Whole Foods and other supermarkets.
In this recipe I’m also adding a mini aubergine, which I still had at home and thought would add some nice texture to it. Usually I’m preparing my harissa chicken with bell peppers, onions and tomato sauce, but today I am going with my favourite veggie, kale.
Kale is not only beautiful and tastes amazing, it has many benefits for your body. For being a leafy green, it has an incredible amount of protein and the fibres help maintaining a healthy intestinal flora and are quiet filling for a veg.
Enjoy the recipe!
Harissa Chicken with Kale
- 2 whole chicken legs (high and drumstick)
- 2 tbsp harissa paste
- 4 stems kale
- 1 red onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 long mini aubergine (not so mini, the italian long one)
- 1 splash aceto balsamico
- 1 tbsp butter
- oil to sear
- salt, pepper
- 2 tbsp roasted macadamias chopped roughly
- Marinate chicken with harissa paste.
- Wash kale and remove thick stems, then cut into pieces.
- Peel onion, half it and cut into thin slices. Peel garlic and finely chop it.
- Cut aubergine into bite size pieces.
- Heat oil in an ovenproof pan and sear chicken in it. Put aside.
- In the same pan roast onions, add garlic and aubergine after 3 minutes then deglaze with balsamico.
- Add kale and mix, add some love and butter (basically the same thing anyways) then cook for a couple of minutes. Add salt and pepper up to taste.
- Put chicken on top and put the pan in the oven at 170°C, roast for about 30 minutes.
- Take pan out of the oven carefully. Sprinkle the macadamias over it and serve.
This post is also available in English!