When we used to have guests at home, my mother always made something crispy to eat as an appetizer. Usually, there were spring rolls and panko prawns with sweet chili sauce. Today they are accompanied by a lime chili mayo.
Deep-frying at home is not too difficult. What’s most important is the right oil temperature. To check if the oil is hot enough you can simply hold a wooden stick in the oil, if it bubbles all around the oil is hot enough. (If the oil is too cold, the prawns will only soak up the oil and not be as crispy as they should be.)
The purchased prawns should best not yet be completely peeled- but without head and gutted. This saves a lot of work. However, if you were only able to get whole prawns with head and all the trimmings, you have to clean them. To do this, remove the head, cut the back open and pull out the intestines. Then remove the shell, except for the tail.
Panko Prawns with Chili Mayo
- 700 g tiger prawns, headless, shelled, deveined
- 4 eggs
- 200 g panko flakes
- 100 g coconut flakes
- 1 L plant oil
Lime Chili Mayo
- 5 tbsp Kewpie mayonnaise
- 1 Bird's Eye chili, finely chopped
- grated lime
- 1 squeeze lime juice
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- lime wedges
- coriander leafs
- Mix all ingredients for the mayonnaise and set aside.
- Peel the prawns, except for the tail, and remove the intestines.
- Cut slightly into the back, up to the tail and fold the prawn out- do not cut through. Salt to taste.
- For the breading, beat eggs in a bowl and in a second bowl, mix shredded coconut with panko.
- Dip prawns first in the beat eggs, then cover all around with the panko-coconut mixture.
- Fill a deep pan or pot with oil so that the prawns will be completely covered.
- To check if the oil is hot enough, put a wooden stick in it. If it bubbles, the oil is ready to fry.
- Carefully place the battered prawns in the oil (on medium heat, careful it doesn't get too hot). Don't put too many in the pot at once. It is better to work in batches.
- After about 3 minutes, turn the prawns in the pan around once and deep fry for another 3 minutes or until they are golden brown all over. Then remove and drain on a wire rack.
- Serve with cilantro and lime wedges and use the lime chili mayonnaise for dipping.
This post is also available in English!